Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

MARKER ADVOCATES of TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP
JACOB BLAKESLEE Jr.

Stacks Image 2251
The village of Blakeslee was named for Jacob Blakeslee Jr., 1822-1896, community leader.

At right, a photo of the Blakeslee Homestead, located on a hill to the west of today’s Homestead Lane.

Stacks Image 2257
Stacks Image 684
COMMEMORATES: Jacob Blakeslee Jr., community leader, farmer, retailer and postmaster. The village of Blakeslee is named in his honor.

INSCRIPTION: 1822-1896 – Blakeslee was the influential community leader for whom this village was named. He was a merchant, farmer and lumberman, owning several thousand acres. A trustee of the Methodist Church built in 1852, and the town’s first postmaster in 1883, Jacob was instrumental in helping the young area develop. He also served as School Director, Township Supervisor, and Justice of the Peace.

MARKER DEDICATED: September 17, 2016

SPONSOR: Pocono Lake Preserve

LOCATION: Route 115 north of the village of Blakeslee, approximately 200 yards north of Homestead Lane, on the west side of the road.

COORDINATES: 41° 06' 33.0"N 75° 36' 29.6"W
or 41.109032, –75.608199

GPS ADDRESS: 5972 Pa. Route 115, Blakeslee, PA 18610

READ MORE:
TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP MARKERS TO DATE:

About the Tobyhanna Township Roadside Marker Program


The Tobyhanna Township Roadside Historical Marker Program is a community-wide, volunteer effort spearheaded by the Marker Advocates of Tobyhanna Township (MATT).

MATT is a nonprofit association dedicated to this program. Volunteers serving in committees seek the funding, research and write the text, install the markers, arrange for a public dedication and establish a long-term awareness campaign through a touring map and a web site.

Be part of our heritage — Donate an historical marker

  • Through identification of the important facets of our rich history ... existing and lost landmarks, important events and activities, and our people, we will realize the goal of a community-wide network of roadside historical markers. Our community can now and for future decades and generations appreciate our heritage.
  • Each roadside historical marker will ensure the preservation of our local history and heritage, while providing an important educational opportunity that is accessible to the public, free of charge.
  • This program will build community pride while enhancing “heritage tourism,” recognized as a strong and desirable sector of our economy.
Sponsors donating the full cost of a marker are permanently recognized on the bottom of the marker. Additional appreciation is shared with the community through a public dedication ceremony, as well as a touring map, web site and other materials.

For more information on becoming a sponsor:


570-580-5353
Email us