Marker Advocates of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

MARKER ADVOCATES of TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP
BLAKESLEE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

Blakeslee United Methodist Church
Stacks Image 707
COMMEMORATES: The oldest congregation in Tobyhanna Township, serving several family generations.

INSCRIPTION: The oldest congregation in the area first assembled in a log schoolhouse in 1840. A church was built in 1852, when Pastor Frederick Illman presided. In 1897 it was replaced with this building, which was enlarged in 1960. Seventeen stained glass windows document the church history. Founders' descendants remain dedicated parishioners to this day.

SPONSOR: 2016 | King’s Daughters of the Blakeslee United Methodist Church

MARKER DEDICATED: August 28, 2016

LOCATION: In Blakeslee on the west side of Route 115, just north of the intersection with Route 940.

COORDINATES: 41° 05' 39.4"N 75° 35' 40.1"W
or 41.094274, –75.594467

GPS ADDRESS: 5677 Route 115, Blakeslee, PA 18610

READ MORE:
TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP MARKERS TO DATE:

About the Tobyhanna Township Roadside Marker Program


The Tobyhanna Township Roadside Historical Marker Program is a community-wide, volunteer effort spearheaded by the Marker Advocates of Tobyhanna Township (MATT).

MATT is a nonprofit association dedicated to this program. Volunteers serving in committees seek the funding, research and write the text, install the markers, arrange for a public dedication and establish a long-term awareness campaign through a touring map and a web site.

Be part of our heritage — Donate an historical marker

  • Through identification of the important facets of our rich history ... existing and lost landmarks, important events and activities, and our people, we will realize the goal of a community-wide network of roadside historical markers. Our community can now and for future decades and generations appreciate our heritage.
  • Each roadside historical marker will ensure the preservation of our local history and heritage, while providing an important educational opportunity that is accessible to the public, free of charge.
  • This program will build community pride while enhancing “heritage tourism,” recognized as a strong and desirable sector of our economy.
Sponsors donating the full cost of a marker are permanently recognized on the bottom of the marker. Additional appreciation is shared with the community through a public dedication ceremony, as well as a touring map, web site and other materials.

For more information on becoming a sponsor:


570-580-5353
Email us