Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

Stacks Image 14

STODDARTSVILLE HISTORIC CENTER
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
The First Saturday of each month May through October — 10 a.m.-2 p.m.


Also open by appointment: Send an email
1 Stoddartsville Road • Blakeslee, Pa.

NOTE: The Stoddartsville Historic Center is operated by the Stoddartsville Preservation Society, a separate organization

Stacks Image 21
Stacks Image 23
The historic village of Stoddartsville straddles the Lehigh River bordering Tobyhanna Township in Monroe County and Buck Township in Luzerne County. The Stoddartsville Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.

John Stoddart, a wealthy Pennsylvania merchant, built the town in 1816 as a terminus for the newly planned Lehigh Canal. Stoddartsville included grist and saw mills, a hotel and stagecoach stop serving as toll house for the new Easton and Wilkes-Barre Turnpike (now Route 115), general stores, post office, craft shops and homes.

In 2002, the Stoddartsville Historic Center was opened by John L. Butler, a Stoddart descendent, offering an extensive collection of historical pictures, documents and artifacts related to the history of Stoddartsville and surrounding area. The center was taken over by the Stoddartsville Preservation Society in 2010.

The center is located on Buck Maple Lane, just west of Route 115, three miles north of the Route 940 intersection (Blakeslee Corners).

From Route 115 North from Blakeslee Corners, turn left just past the Lehigh River bridge onto Buck Maple Lane.

From Route 115 South, turn right onto Buck Maple Lane at the Stoddartsville Cemetery (look for the low stone wall), just before the Lehigh River bridge.