Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township

HATT | PO Box 2084 | Pocono Pines, PA 18350-2084

July 13, 2017

RETURN TO MAIN MINUTES PAGE

GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION OF TOBYHANNA TOWNSHIP

July 13, 2017 • 5:30 p.m.
Clymer Library, 115 Firehouse Road, Pocono Pines, Pa.


Attendance: 37 members, 18 nonmembers
Speaker: Kim Williams — The Railroads of Tobyhanna Township

Rick Bodenschatz called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.. He started with leading the Pledge of Allegiance.

He then mentioned the August meeting August 10, 2017 at 11 a.m. at the Austin T. Blakeslee Nature Center would be the annual picnic. People with last names beginning with A through L should bring a side dish and those M through Z should bring a dessert … after you’ve dropped off a sample at Rick’s house.

Rick showed a series of binders containing the extensive genealogy of several of our original families, done by Ed Bassler. This “Ed Bassler Collection” will be placed in the local history department in the library. Gene Kerrick was also a contributor to this project, and wrote most of the summaries of these families that appear on HATT’s web site.

Scarlett Rehrig is off on a trip and the archives are 80 percent done.

The Historical Roadside Markers are all planted. There are 25 on the tour and they are all on the website. There is a printed brochure that will be put in the library, the township building and all three post offices, as well as being available to download from the website.

The Lutherland book and DVD is available for $5.

A reminder to pay your dues or you will be cut off in August.

This secretary, who was sick as a dog, had to remind Rick about the “Home for the Holidays” concert that will take place on December 9.

Rick then introduced our feature speaker, Kim Williams, a graduate of ESU and a railroad historian. His show consisted of many, many photographs that brought oohs and aahs from the crowd.

In 1892 and 1893 the Wilkes-Barre & Easton Railroad built rail lines on the route of the present day Route 940, bringing coal to the area and beyond. At one time there were 25 cars with coal going to Jersey City.

In 1894 the first passenger train came through the township, with stops in Pocono Lake and Naomi Lake, and continued down to Easton.

In 1898 WB&E joined the New York Stock Exchange.

After 1902, the passenger train stopped running. Then they tried a mixed train of passengers and freight, and in 1939 the last freight train ran.

In 1940 the AA Morrison Co. from Buffalo, N.Y., was hired to take up the rails and tracks for $198,318.46.

The Naomi Pines station was where the Congregation B’nai Harim is now, and there was another station in Wagners, where Frisbee Lumber is now located, and the Pocono Lake station was where Pocono Lake Supply is today.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:45.

Respectfully submitted,
Kris Avery (helping out Secretary Peggy Rapp)